duminică, 20 noiembrie 2022

WC 2022: Human rights aside

Straight out with it: I'm excited about this World Cup. I don't even think it's special; I'm as excited as about any World Cup. But Leo, it's in Qatar!

Well, let's see what that means: it's a nation with virtually no football history. Ah, like South Africa 2010, or Japan & Korea 2002 you mean? But isn't one of the points of the World Cup to expand the reach of the beautiful game, to move into countries, continents, and territories with no tradition of football, and make new generations and new cultures dream of achievements that include a ball?

But Qatar is controversial because of human rights abuses! True. And how lucky that football is here to help with that! When we're talking about human rights abuses, what is it exactly that we care most about?

Too many workers died when building the stadiums. I know, it's deeply regrettable, as is the exploitation of cheap labor force from SE Asia in Qatar and throughout the Middle East. And I don't want to come across as insensitive in any way, but it does feel like a solution for this should come from UN, not FIFA. Why did we not protest as the workers were dying? Why were there no administrations, sanctions, bans or investigative committees into Qatari construction sites 3-4 years ago? Because, by the way, construction workers are being exploited and dying now, while building stuff that isn't stadiums. Why do we not stop that?

Discrimination against LGBT+ and women in Qatar. The most valid point of protesting this World Cup. Unfortunately, these are two areas where the beautiful game itself is behind society. It is deeply troublesome that in this day and age there are only a handful of publicly gay professional footballers, just as troublesome as the huge pay gap between men's and women's games. Look, I know we got problems. We're working on them.

No alcohol sale during World Cup. Oh weah! While I do agree this makes for a poor fan experience, it's a commercial rather than a political issue. Boycott the world cup because it doesn't sell beer is actually a very valid position. So there'll be less US & European fans in the stands. I can see the downside to it, but I can also see the upside of 1.2 million Saudis watching the World Cup. Swings and roundabouts, really.

But it's in the winter! Look... I don't like it. Less work in the summer means I usually can get more time off to watch the games. Means that I usually see a good chunk of the tournament somewhere sunny and where the sea is close. This time around, I'm having a really busy and quite stressful time during the World Cup, and I'll struggle to watch as many games as I'd like. Having said that, there'll be none of the players and commentators complaining about the long and hard season they had. In fact, this World Cup takes place when players should be in peak form, so hopefully, it will impact the football positively. It might affect the form of the teams for a few games after the World Cup, but all the better: it makes the domestic leagues more interesting!

But Qatar only won because they bribed national federations! Oh my God, don't tell me FIFA is corrupt! By this point, I am fully aware that all my arguments are personal preference rather than apology. And it's true that I don't like it - I don't think anyone does - that such a treasured and far-reaching cultural phenomenon as football is controlled by one of the most corrupt organizations on Earth, but somehow it doesn't feel like the solution comes from the pitch. By all means, investigate, arrest and disgrace all FIFA officials, it that is what it takes, but what can the players do? Any breakaway attempts have resulted in much worse ventures, and the men in suits will quickly hijack any successful initiative that comes from the pitch. This is a structural issue we have in society at large, not just in football. 

So yeah, Qatar makes for a controversial host. Clearly. But are we aware that the previous tournament was held in Russia? Or that the second World Cup ever, in 1934, was held in Mussolini's Italy, and the cheating was as blatant as it was overt? Clearly, the World Cup and the whole gigantic machinery of football has huge problems. We are trying hard to ringfence the basics against them though: it's 11v11 and a ball. Ok, stop bringing match-fixing in the conversation!

For a neutral, none of my arguments stand. They're not meant to convince. I wouldn't be convinced by them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm excited and will watch the World Cup despite the huge issues surrounding it. Because - and this is an argument I use a lot - if we'd let all of the world's problems be sorted by a game of 11v11 with a ball on a grass pitch, we'd have a lot less of them. The issues start once we step out of the grass pitch.

Ok, one hour of apologies and 2 minutes of talking about football, which might be a good indicator of how the whole tournament might pan out.

I'll quickly take a look at the groups, and we'll reconvene here once the group stage is over to see how I've fared.

Group A: As much as I have good memories of Ecuador, and of the beautiful teams they bring to the WC, of Agustin Delgado or Antonio Valencia, they are a small team and I don't see them coming out of a group with Netherlands and Senegal. It does look like Senegal might be the strong African team, and they're always making a statement, I wouldn't even mind if it's this year that an African team finally makes it through the quarters and into the semi-final. We'll see. Qatar will probably finish last, and the world will rejoice.

Group B: Iran, oh Iran! In a group with US and England, there'll be plenty of scope to talk politics around the games. And hopefully, some of that will help the cause of women in Iran, and of the Iranian people in general. The nightmare they're living through has lasted for too long. They won't go out of the group, but they can still help their nation, which is probably more important. England and Wales will go forward, sorry USA.

Group C: Somehow I'm always sympathetic towards Mexico. Maybe it's the good football they're playing, maybe it's all the books I've read as a child about Mexico '70. But this year I will cheer them on even more than usual, and hopefully I'll get to see some of the games together with my Mexican brothers from Cuckoo. Will they qualify? Tricky, but not impossible. Hold off for a draw with Poland, or even beat Poland, score a lot against Saudi Arabia and make the game against Argentina redundant.  So hopefully it will be Mexico and Argentina going forward. Even Mexico and Poland, if we let ourselves dream a bit.

Group D: Haha, Australia always hold their own well. It will come to naught, this is a clear case of France and Denmark, but we'll have good games. I don't know much about Tunisia, their game against Australia will be interesting. This group is very predictable, but will probably be very spectacular.

Group E: It might look like a clear-cut Spain and Germany, but if Spain are not careful, both Costa Rica and Japan will be ready to take their place. It's not gonna be a walk in the park is what I'm saying.

Group F: Yeah, this is dull. Belgium and Croatia will qualify. Morocco might try something and, while we welcome Canada to their first ever World Cup, this game is not played with sticks.

Group G: Ok, Brazil have a point to prove and some image to defend, clear winners. But second? Switzerland or Serbia? My gut says Switzerland, I'll even go as far as saying Cameroon will finish above Serbia.

Group H: Uhh, hard to forget Ghana's heartbreak in South Africa 2010, what with Suarez's hand of the cannibal and missed penalty in the last minute - God bless your soul Asamoah Gyan, because he sure didn't bless your boot. This time around, I don't see Ghana going as far as back then. Portugal and Uruguay to go through, with Portugal hopefully winning the whole thing, please and thank you. I know, I know, Ronaldo talked to Piers Morgan and this fact alone is enough to disqualify someone as a human being in my eyes. But look, Portugal can win stuff without Ronaldo, too! Remember Euro 2008? Yeah, more of that please. Oh, South Korea are also in this group. Well, good luck Son!

Anyways, I'm late for work. Apparently, Qatar will win 1-0 this afternoon, because it's fixed. Go put all of your savings on a bet for correct score if you're that convinced. Oh, you're not?

Also, can someone please translate this song in Portugese for me?



Niciun comentariu: