sâmbătă, 22 iunie 2024

Euro 2024: The Graveyard Shift

Slovakia - Ukraine 1 - 2

Poland - Austria 1 - 3

France - Netherlands 0 - 0

I shouldn't be happy about Ukraine's victory on two accounts: firstly, it complicates things in a group where we want to keep things simple. However, I also feel this is a small team mentality. You can't expect to win one game and qualify. We were always meant to get points off either Belgium or Slovakia. Is it gonna be hard? Of course. But it was always meant to be hard. Secondly, they were not the better team. Slovakia played pretty well and dominated the game with some authority, especially in the first half. For some strange reason they allowed the Ukrainians back in the game in the second half, and the Ukrainians, well... they said thank you very much.

I do take some joy in the result for two reasons: firstly, it is the very first game where I guessed a correct score at this tournament, although, again, I did not guess how it would happen. Secondly, although I'm not particularly keen on their football or their prowess as a footballing nation, my sympathies towards Ukraine as a country besieged by a bigger military power extend to football, and I'm hoping the game yesterday brings some solace to the people caught in a war with no fault of their own.

Let's just see if the wave of elation Romanians lived on since the 3 - 0 win will carry past tonight.

***

How much do I like Arnautovic?
I saw very little of Poland - Austria, but I'm not curious. I would've much preferred Poland to win, there's something that puts me off about Austria. Whether that's Ralph Ragnick, whether that's Arnautovic's arrogance not backed by skill, I just don't like them, and Sabitzer alone is not enough to redeem them.

So I found it a bit annoying when I turned on the game at 1-0 for Austria. I was happy to see Poland pull level, but I knew the Poles needed more than this, what with France their other game remaining. I wasn't sure if they were able to get more, and it turns out they're not. I could only watch the end of the second half when the score was already 3-1, but yeah, there's a reason Poland is now the first country eliminated from the tournament. Waiting on the next Lewandowski now, I suppose.

***

Similar story for Frace - Netherlands. Didn't see much of the game, but I've got no curiosity. It does feel like it was a quiet understanding between the two to share the points and not push too much. Both have easy games in the third round, though I'd happily see Austria beat the Netherlands, just for good measure. And to show some other group winner that playing a third place is not necessarily preferable.

Today we finish round 2, and it's good that for the most part, the tournament is still interesting. Only one team out so far, though Georgia probably joining today.

Hai Romania!

Niciun comentariu: